Amanda-Users

Re: Having problem using Amanda for permanent backup storage

2009-04-03 10:03:27
Subject: Re: Having problem using Amanda for permanent backup storage
From: Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Wojtek <wojteko AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 09:15:42 -0400
Amanda use a new tape at every run. If you configure a big enough holding disk, amanda can be configured to write to a tape only it is has enough data in holding disk to fill the tape.

You must at least do one full backup, you are configure to do only level 1 backup, but they are relative to a non-existant full backup, that's why your incremental include all files.

Jean-Louis

Wojtek wrote:
Hello there,

We recently installed Amanda to be able to permanently backup files to tapes.
Those tapes will never be deleted and will only be kept in storage if
down the road some file from them is required.

Every week, we'll be dumping about 100Gb of files categorized in
folders, Amanda will then backup those files to tape, and then the
files will be deleted from that folder. Process repeats every week.

Now, my problem is the following: I'm able to make Amanda backup my
DLE's, however the problem I'm having is that it only does Full
backups, and I need only Incremental. I started the amdump process,
and right after it finished did another amdump. Files in the DLE's did
not change, but amanda wrote 2 seperate tapes with identical data.
What I expected was that the second time I did amdump, amanda would
'loop' through the files, see that none changed and do nothing. If any
new files would be there, it would write to the first tape until it
was full.

Since I'm not sure where the problem is coming from, I'll provide you
with as much information as possible:

==========
amanda.conf:
==========
org "ORG"
mailto "email AT email DOT com"
dumpuser "amandabackup"
inparallel 4
dumporder "sssS"
taperalgo first
displayunit "k"
dumpcycle 9999 weeks
runspercycle 99998
tapecycle 99999 tapes
etimeout 300
dtimeout 1800
ctimeout 30
device_output_buffer_size 1280k
usetimestamps yes
flush-threshold-dumped 100
flush-threshold-scheduled 100
taperflush 0
autoflush no
runtapes 5
tpchanger "chg-zd-mtx"
tapedev "tape:/dev/nst0"
changerfile "/etc/amanda/Bell/changer.conf"
changerdev "/dev/sg5"
maxdumpsize -1
tapetype LTO4
labelstr "^Bell-[0-9][0-9]*$"
amrecover_do_fsf yes
amrecover_check_label yes
amrecover_changer "changer"
holdingdisk hd1 {
        comment "main holding disk"
        directory "/dumps/amanda"
        use -100Mb
        chunksize 1Gb
}
infofile "/var/amanda/Bell/curinfo"
logdir   "/var/amanda/Bell"
indexdir "/var/amanda/Bell/index"
define tapetype LTO4 {
   comment "Dell LTO4 800Gb - Compression Off"
   length 802816 mbytes
   filemark 0 kbytes
   speed 52616 kps
}
define dumptype global {
    comment "Global definitions"
    auth "bsdtcp"
}
define dumptype root-tar {
    global
    program "GNUTAR"
    comment "root partitions dumped with tar"
    compress none
    priority low
}
define dumptype user-tar {
    root-tar
    comment "user partitions dumped with tar"
    priority medium
}
define dumptype comp-root-tar {
    root-tar
    comment "Root partitions with compression"
    compress client fast
}
define dumptype comp-user-tar {
    user-tar
    compress client fast
    strategy nofull
}
define interface local {
    comment "a local disk"
    use 8000 kbps
}

=========
change.conf
=========
firstslot=1
lastslot=5
driveslot=0
havereader=1

======
tapelist (before amanda adds the date)
======
0 Bell-01 reuse
0 Bell-02 reuse
0 Bell-03 reuse
0 Bell-04 reuse
0 Bell-05 reuse

======
disklist
======
earth.domain.info /Bell/Folder1 comp-user-tar
earth.domain.info /Bell/Folder2 comp-user-tar

Allright, I think that is all the usefull data.
As you can see, in amanda.conf I've set the dumpcycle, runspercycle
and tapecycle to 99999, thinking it would prevent it from doing a Full
backup.
In the define dumptype comp-user-tar section, I've also placed the
nofull strategy.

Yet it is not working as expected.

What changes should I make to my config files to be able to accomplish
what I described at the beginning?

Any tips, suggestions or working sample config files are greatly appreciated :)

Thank You
-Wojtek