Amanda-Users

Re: changer problems with 2.6.1

2009-02-18 11:09:47
Subject: Re: changer problems with 2.6.1
From: stan <stanb AT panix DOT com>
To: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 11:06:19 -0500
On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 10:44:48AM -0500, stan wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 11:33:12PM -0500, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 11:06 PM, stan <stanb AT panix DOT com> wrote:
> > OK, a few pieces of Amanda history may be relevant to your investigations
> > here.

OK, so I have looked at the web pages you pointed me too`. Let me explain
the way that the existing system works. Using the "backup" config, the
"changer" checks the label on each of the vtapes, till it finds the matching
label on the tape in the drive, or fails to. Assuming case 1 then amanda sets
the "slot" to the slot that matches the label on the tape, and the backup
begins.

Looks to me like what we have to do in the new design is use chg-rait(?), with
3 devices, one to throw away the parity that we don't need, chg-disk, for
the vtapes, and ?? for the single physical slot tapedrive itself. Does this
sound right? What changer should we use for the tape?
programs.