Amanda-Users

Re: Tape library with hardware encryption

2009-02-10 08:12:03
Subject: Re: Tape library with hardware encryption
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: amanda-u AT alienn DOT net
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 08:06:32 -0500
hmm, seems to me if you are looking for a good tape library with hardware encryption, you could probably more easily afford a faster server running linux that would do the encryption. Since you need to balance the server capabilities with the tape library, you might need this anyway. I've seen a number of people on various backup lists complaining that they get lousy speed from the newer LTO (3 and 4). The typical reply is that if their backup server can't drive the LTO at an adequate speed, then the speed will degrade even further due to "shoe-shining."

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator
(*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center