Amanda-Users

Re: Tape library with hardware encryption

2009-02-10 13:43:09
Subject: Re: Tape library with hardware encryption
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Nicki Messerschmidt <amanda-u AT alienn DOT net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 12:22:44 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 at 8:51am, Nicki Messerschmidt wrote

does anyone know a good tape library which supports hardware encryption
under linux with amanda? I thought about an lto-4 drive but there seems
no linux support for the encryption part und gpg is too slow on this
machine... ;)

To second the other response, you need a fast server (with fast disks) to drive an LTO3/4 tape drive. Each drive in my LTO3 library has a dedicated 4 disk RAID0 made up of 10K RPM disks to feed it. And I still need to use XFS over ext3 on those RAIDs to get decent tape speed.

You can't drive LTO with a low-end server.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin