Amanda-Users

Re: Is there a log that tells me the block size of a Backup Job

2008-07-23 01:01:33
Subject: Re: Is there a log that tells me the block size of a Backup Job
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "Doyle Collings" <dcollings AT loganutah DOT org>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 00:27:38 -0400
On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 6:51 PM, Doyle Collings <dcollings AT loganutah DOT
org> wrote:
> Is there a way to manually define the tapetype from the command line and echo
> the results of each command?

amdump -o tapetype=mytapetype
 or maybe you mean
amdump -o tapetype:LTO4:blocksize=2048

> Is there some kind of config command to check a configuration status?

Not sure what you mean, beyond what amcheck does.

If you want to see, for absolutely sure, what blocksize it's using,
make up a fairly small backup set (trim your disklist temporarily) and
run amdump under 'strace -f -e write amdump 2>/tmp/trace' or the
equivalent for your operating system.  You should see a bunch of write
commands in /tmp/trace, and the size of the writes are the blocksize
Amanda is using.

There could be lots of other things slowing Amanda down.  Are you
doing software compression?  Are you using a holding disk?

Dustin

--
Storage Software Engineer
http://www.zmanda.com