Amanda-Users

Re: Is there a log that tells me the block size of a Backup Job

2008-07-22 20:39:38
Subject: Re: Is there a log that tells me the block size of a Backup Job
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Doyle Collings <dcollings AT loganutah DOT org>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 17:56:19 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 at 3:06pm, Doyle Collings wrote

I am using a Tandberg Data 1x7 Magnum LTO4 Autoloader. When I use gnutar with a
block size of 2048 (tar -b 4096) I can back up a 2.6 gig iso file in 37
seconds. When I use amanda, the same file takes 4 minutes. I used the following
configure line when I compiled my amanda installation.

/downloads/amandasource/amanda-2.6.0p1/configure --with-maxtapeblocksize=2048
--with-user=amandabackup --with-group=disk --with-configdir=/etc/amanda

I then added the blocksize line to my amanda.conf

define tapetype LTO4 {
comment "LTO4 Library"
length 802816 mbytes
blocksize 2048 kbytes
filemark 0 kbytes

On a whim, try "blocksize 2048". 'man amanda.conf' says that no modifier is necessary, so maybe it's confusing the parser somehow. From a quick grep through my logs, I can't see the blocksize used reported anywhere.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin