Amanda-Users

Re: dumporder parameter

2008-07-22 05:20:53
Subject: Re: dumporder parameter
From: Paul Bijnens <Paul.Bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Johan Booysen <johan AT matrix-data.co DOT uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 11:14:59 +0200
On 2008-07-22 10:37, Johan Booysen wrote:
Hi,

I got no reply so apologies if it was a stupid question.  I'm now simply
using dumporder "Ssss", and Amanda seems to be dumping disklist entries
starting from largest to smallest, which will work just fine for me.
I'm doing level 0 backups each night, and know how long the largest DLE
takes, so can reasonably accurately work out when to start the backup
job.

Correction:

  dumporder "Ssss"

actually means that the first dumper will choose the the largest
dump available from the queue, the second to the fourth dumper will
chose the smallest from the queue.
If you have only 1 dumper running (inparallel 1, or without holdingdisk,
or client constrained) then, and only then the dumps go from large to small
with that parameter.  Use "SSSS" to be more certain about the largest
to smallest.

My problem is that all the data to back up on Server2, Server3, and
Server4 isn't necessarily ready to be backed up until around 7am each
morning (this could possibly be moved to as early as 5am, but not by
much more than that).  Server1 can be backed up at any time I wish
during the night.  The sizes of the data to be backed up are fairly
static - I don't anticipate massive sudden increases (touch wood).  I
also now have the capacity to force full backups each night.  The data
on Servers 2, 3, and 4 will change completely each night anyway, so I
know I'll be backing up the amounts as above, even if I used Amanda the
classic way of level 0s and level 1s.

How can I configure the dumporder parameter to first back up Server1 (I
know how long a level 0 of that will take to dump) before doing the
other servers?  Then I can plan more accurately when to actually start
the backup job.

Something like "SSsS", if I want to back up Server1 first, then Server2,
then Server4, and then Server3 (Server3 takes the longest to create the
data to back up, so should come last)?

The dumpers are not spread in order of the disklist.  You cannot map
the third letter to the third server.

There is the disklist parameter  "starttime":

 starttime  int
   Default: none. Backups will not start until after this time of day. The
   value should be hh*100+mm, e.g. 6:30PM (18:30) would be entered as 1830.

e.g.
  Server2    /dir4/backups/backup1   {
                        comp-user-tar
                        dumpcycle 0     # force a full backup each time
                        starttime 0700
                        }
  Server3   /dir5/backups/backup2  {
                        comp-user-tar
                        dumpcycle 0
                        starttime 0705
                        }

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *