Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda 2.6.0 spanning

2008-06-25 13:04:20
Subject: Re: Amanda 2.6.0 spanning
From: Paul Bijnens <Paul.Bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Johan Booysen <johan AT matrix-data.co DOT uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 18:58:25 +0200
On 2008-06-25 17:12, Johan Booysen wrote:
Thanks for your replies.

Wow - you guys confuse me!  :)

Ermmm...ok.  Part of my problem is that I have one humongously huge DLE, and
several smaller ones.  And there has been some resistance to my suggestions
that the one massive DLE be split up on disk.  I'm now pretty much at a stage
where very soon any full dump of this single DLE will require two tapes in
itself.  So I don't think I'll realistically be able to never have any DLE span
two tapes...

You can still split up a very large DLE using tar with include/exclude
lists:

 http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/How_To:Split_DLEs_With_Exclude_Lists

E.g. I have a DLE with thousands of subfolders.  The folders are just
numbers, and new folders get new numbers.  I divided the DLE in
11 smaller DLE's depending on the last digit of the foldername
(0-9 + one DLE with the rest).

Even though Amanda can split a single DLE accross tapes,
having smaller DLE's to backup still have other advantages:

- Restores of single files are faster.  The accidental deletes
of a few files by endusers are much more frequent than disk crashes.
(Amanda is growing features  to speed the recovery of single files
in very large images as well, but they are not yet ready.)

- With smaller DLE's Amanda can spread the full dumps better accross
the dumpcycle.  Otherwise, when the full dump of that large DLE is
due, the backup time takes too long, or could push out incremental
dumps of other DLE's as well.

- And last, smaller DLE's fit better on a tape avoiding splitting
of a single DLE accross tapes.  If one tape goes bad, the value of
the following tapes becomes close to 0, especialy if you have
compression enabled.

And even then, I can understand there are still cases when one very
large DLE need to be split accross tapes.  But, if possible, I still
try to avoid that situation.

On the other hand, that won't really be a problem to me, unless I find myself
in a situation where one tape drive dies and I can't do restores of DLEs split
across multiple tapes.

I'm hoping that, if I understand Dustin's reply correctly, that it will work.
I'll switch off one tape drive tomorrow and test it.

when you specify a device instead of a changer like:

   amrecover -d /dev/nst0

A few years ago, I did test that (and debugged and patched and patches
got merged in), and it did work then.  With "amrecover_check_label" Amanda
would even verify if the correct tape was inserted, and prompt again if not.
And, if my memory is correct, even a changer would loop through the
slots, and, if not the correct tape found, would prompt as well.
Feedback that it still works or not would be nice.

 Thanks very much.  Wouldn't have been able to get this done without your kind
advice.

Johan