Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda 2.5.0 spanning

2008-06-04 11:40:37
Subject: Re: Amanda 2.5.0 spanning
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "Johan Booysen" <johan AT matrix-data.co DOT uk>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 11:28:19 -0400
On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 11:04 AM, Johan Booysen <johan AT matrix-data.co DOT uk>
wrote:
> One question:

That's *three* questions ;)

> When amdump runs and fills up the first tape, what should I expect to
> see?
> Does Amanda simply eject the first tape and just waits until the second
> tape is inserted?
> Does it give any sort of indication that it's time to insert the second
> tape?

But they do have a single answer: it depends on the changer you're
using.  From previous emails in the thread, you don't have a changer,
so you should be using chg-manual.  Here are the comments from the
header of that file:

#
#       Changer config file (changerfile)
#
#       resend_mail=900         # 15 minutes
#       timeout_mail=604800     # 7 days
#       request="tty"           # Use the tty to ask the user to change tape.
#                               # Can't be use by cron
#       request="email"         # Send an email to ask the user to change tape.
#       request="tty_email"     # Use the tty if it exist or send an email.
#                       #Default is "tty_email"
#       mtx_binary="/path/to/mtx" # path of 'mtx'; default is value
discovered by
#                               # configure

So you probably want request="email".  The other defaults should
probably be fine.

That way, when Amanda needs a new tape, it will send you an email.
You then take the previous tape out of the drive, stick in a new one,
and Amanda picks right up where it left off.

VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY:
 The changer documentation on the wiki could use some help.  If you
use chg-manual, head over to http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Changers
and make it better!

Dustin

--