Amanda-Users

Re: NFS mount tar incremental problem

2008-03-25 13:14:08
Subject: Re: NFS mount tar incremental problem
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 13:06:52 -0400
wrote:
>>  And I, like an idiot, didn't notice we were discussing an NFS problem,
>> which may be another manifestation of the same problem, but that patch
>> does not address what happens when the linux device mapper decides to move
>> an LVM2 volume from 253,0 ro 254,0.
>
>The patch JLM posted won't fix it, but his proposed command-line option
> will.

Post please, I don't believe I've seen it. I had some email problems over the
weekend due to my / partition being in bad need of an fsck. 2.6.24 running
tickless was a friggin nightmare.

>>  Thats why I'm asking about Schiling Tar, aka S-Tar.  Does that fix the
>>  problem?, and can amanda use it?
>
>Yes, but its semantics are very different from GNU Tar -- it's not a
>drop-in fix.

I was afraid of that.

>>  The ultimate weapon of course in any philosophical war, which this is, is
>> to fork tar and fix it if STar isn't usable.  At this point, and while I'm
>> not capable of doing it, I'm not a bit allergic to the fork idea.  Its
>> bitten me so often that I'll alpha test anybodies efforts in that regard.
>> Gleefully.
>
>Sure, but threatening a fork is un-diplomatic, and not called for just
>yet.  Let's start with a concerted public-relations effort :)

I doubt if my messages on the subject were the only ones they got, and from
the attitude displayed in the replies I got, a fork IS the next step.  They
are immovable on the subject.  They consider that a change in the device
mapping numbers are prima-faci evidence of a stolen tar file trying to be
recovered to a disk that they don't belong to.  A huge security problem in
their view.

>>  Humm, didn't we have some scripts that could inspect and repair the index
>>  files when this happened?  Probably lost when I woke up one morning and
>> found my well developed FC6 install wasn't re-bootable, LSN0 on /dev/hda
>> had one non-zero byte left in it.
>
>Yep -- it's called tar-snapshot-edit, and it's available in recent
>releases of GNU Tar.  Just google for it.

I'll do that, got it.

Thanks, Dustin.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
The end of labor is to gain leisure.