Amanda-Users

Re: NFS mount tar incremental problem

2008-03-25 11:59:38
Subject: Re: NFS mount tar incremental problem
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 11:31:57 -0400
On Tuesday 25 March 2008, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
>>  But the tar people don't want to hear it, their attitude is to fix the os
>>  instead, I've exchanged emails with them in 2 flurries now.  They are
>>  congentially incapable of understanding the problem I believe.
>
>Jean-Louis posted a patch there recently to fix the NFS detection,
>which goes halfway to fixing the problem, and proposed a complete fix.
>
>I think we should start a letter-writing campaign in support of his
>patch: everyone who's been following this issue, please head over to
>bug-tar and make some noise.

>http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-tar/2008-03/msg00023.html --
>Jean-Louis' patch post
>http://www.mail-archive.com/bug-tar AT gnu DOT org/msg01767.html -- Jordan
>Desroche's post
>
>google can help you find some more posts.
>
>Dustin

And I, like an idiot, didn't notice we were discussing an NFS problem, which
may be another manifestation of the same problem, but that patch does not
address what happens when the linux device mapper decides to move an LVM2
volume from 253,0 ro 254,0.

Thats why I'm asking about Schiling Tar, aka S-Tar.  Does that fix the
problem?, and can amanda use it?

The ultimate weapon of course in any philosophical war, which this is, is to
fork tar and fix it if STar isn't usable.  At this point, and while I'm not
capable of doing it, I'm not a bit allergic to the fork idea.  Its bitten me
so often that I'll alpha test anybodies efforts in that regard.  Gleefully.

In the meantime I have a script I think I'l fire up and let run till amanda
catches up with yet another device-mapper screwup.

Humm, didn't we have some scripts that could inspect and repair the index
files when this happened?  Probably lost when I woke up one morning and found
my well developed FC6 install wasn't re-bootable, LSN0 on /dev/hda had one
non-zero byte left in it.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
                -- Oscar Wilde