Amanda-Users

Re: Tape Spanning DLE question

2008-03-10 14:23:54
Subject: Re: Tape Spanning DLE question
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 14:09:11 -0400
On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 10:15:51AM -0400, Jordan Desroches wrote:
> Hi all :-)
>
> I'm having a hard time finding the answer to this question by
> searching around. I have a DLE which is 1TB in size. My server has .8
> TB of holding disk, and each of my tapes is .4 TB native.
>
> Can AMANDA span a single DLE that is larger than a tape across tapes?
>
> AMANDA cannot put the 1TB DLE on holding disk. Is it possible to
> inform AMANDA that (if AMANDA can span one DLE across tapes), AMANDA
> can begin putting this 1TB DLE on holding disk as it is available, and
> feed out the other side to tape?

Amanda should not use a holding disk that is too small to
hold the entire DLE.  The DLE dump is collected in its
entirety BEFORE any taping of that dump is done.

BTW that 1TB, is that with or without compression?  If without
and you use software compression, the space used on the holding
disk may be significantly smaller than 1TB.

Despite the above, yes, with appropriate configuration, amanda
can span a DLE larger then the holding disk across multiple tapes.
The two features are independent of one another.

 JG Computing
 12027 Creekbend Drive          (703) 787-0884
 Reston, VA  20194              (703) 787-0922 (fax)