Amanda-Users

Re: selfcheck request timeout

2008-01-24 01:14:41
Subject: Re: selfcheck request timeout
From: Kermit Short <herald AT shortesys DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 23:03:06 -0700
Paul-
I'm still tracking down some of the things you mentioned I should check...However, I've just had a brainstorm. This specific server is bound via winbind to a Windows 2003 Active Directory controller. Now, while Windows doesn't specify a user specifically named backup (the amadmin xx version did indeed prove that the build was compiled to use the backup:backup pair) the domain has a group called "Backup Operators" and I'm wondering if that isn't getting in the way. If not, the authentication could be: I've got all this running through PAM, where the winbind.so module polls the Domain Controller for its list of users. After a timeout, it continues with the rest of the nsswitch.conf file. This timeout could be causing a situation where the amcheck process is shutting down before the winbind.so has had time to timeout and move on to the local /etc/passwd entries. Does that sound possible? Any way I can twiddle things in the xinetd drop file configuration to test this, or some other config file maybe? Thanks for your input!!
-Kermit Short

Paul Bijnens wrote:

Kermit Short wrote:
Hi Marc, thanks for your ideas! The system does indeed resolve it's full FQDN both through dig/nslookup, but pinging the IP address does not resolve the hostname. Not sure if this is an issue?

The output from your netstat command does indeed list the correct ports and services listening from xinetd:
backup@zeus:/tmp$ netstat -taun | egrep :1008.
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:10082 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:10083 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
udp        0      0 192.168.34.15:10080     0.0.0.0:*

I would expect to see amandad listen on ALL interfaces, especially
including localhost!!
Verify xinetd configuration for amandad.