Amanda-Users

selfcheck request timeout

2008-01-22 23:48:48
Subject: selfcheck request timeout
From: Kermit Short <herald AT shortesys DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:40:35 -0700
Hey gurus!
I've checked many many resources about this error and I've done just about everything they've asked, but I can't get rid of it, and I don't really even know if it's a show stopper or not. Here's my situation:

I've freshly installed the Ubuntu Universe package for Amanda-Server, Amanda-Common, and Amanda-Client. The version I'm getting from amadmin is 2.4.5p1. This is running on a Dell 1950 Xeon Quadcore with 2 GB of RAM. The Server is running on my home LAN, so all IPs on its subnet are private. The server is also running VMWare Server hosting Windows Server 2003 but I'm not sure that has any bearing on this. All data will be backing up to a Overland XPress LXB 10-Tape robot with a Quantum SDLTI tape drive in it. I believe it supports 160GB tapes uncompressed, and that's what I've run the amtapetype -e parameter with. All this is working beautifully. I can use the amtape controller to swap tapes, reset to known configs, label tapes, and I've got it all patched together with the chg-zd-mtx built-in tape changer script.

My problems come in when I try to run amcheck DailySet1. The tape server checks run fine, with the expected warnings due to never having run a backup job before. The client check mewls and cries, indicating the selfcheck request timed out, and asks if the host is down. As the host is the same as the one running the check, it obviously isn't down. As you can guess, this Ubuntu package has DailySet1 as it's default backup set name. In installing/configuring the client, I've done the following:

customized the /etc/amandahosts (symlinked by ~backup/.amandahosts)
customized the /etc/hosts.allow for the amandad, amindexd, and amidxtaped daemons customized the /etc/services to register the 3 above daemons as services for the xinetd superserver created a drop file in /etc/xinetd.d with the standard recommended parameters and restarted the xinetd superserver

something that wasn't mentioned on any of the FAQs and mail lists was to change the group on the 3 above daemons to the backup group (the group specified for the backup user which will be the user running amanda) IPTABLES is not running on this host, so it isn't a firewall issue, unless the port calls go running about the LAN rather than staying internal, which I can't imagine is happening.
netstat -a |grep amanda reports the following:
tcp        0      0 *:amandaidx             *:*                     LISTEN
udp        0      0 zeus.chaos.short:amanda *:*

Obviously the output has concatenated my FQDN, but Iwhat I don't know, is if those are all the services that should be listening, and whether those are the correct protocols that they are listening to.

Thus, I've done rather a lot of research to get this running, and that's not including the many days spent ironing out the kinks in the server issues. This one has me stumped, as the error logs don't even make a peep that something in the system is even running, much less failing... Any help that anyone could provide would be deeply appreciated. After all, as they say, backups are like wives...you don't realize how important they were until you don't have them anymore!

Best regards,
Kermit Short