Amanda-Users

Re: missing size line from sendbackup and PARTIAL

2008-01-14 10:21:54
Subject: Re: missing size line from sendbackup and PARTIAL
From: Paul Bijnens <Paul.Bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Jean-Francois Malouin <Jean-Francois.Malouin AT bic.mni.mcgill DOT ca>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 16:17:05 +0100

Sorry, for replying late -- very very busy here...
See below

* Paul Bijnens <Paul.Bijnens AT xplanation DOT com> [20080110 04:40]:
On 2008-01-09 22:55, Jean-Francois Malouin wrote:
Hi,

Amanda-2.5.2p1 on both the server (Debian/Etch) and client (irix-6.5.x).

In a amreport this morning I got a DLE with:

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
 yorick  /data/nih/nih1  lev 0  FAILED [missing size line from sendbackup]
 yorick  /data/nih/nih1  lev 0  FAILED [missing size line from sendbackup]

The backup program (gnutar for this DLE) normally should have ended with
a last line indicating the total size of the backup.  However, Amanda did
not find that line.

But because that does not mean that you want be able to do at least something
with the partial backup, Amanda did not discard the whole backup image.
(Also because, when e.g. dumping to tape, Amanda will not rewind and overwrite
an invalid backup image -- too difficult and maybe some intelligent human
can still do "something" with the partial backup.)

But Amanda still marks it "FAILED", and will try next time to make a decent
backup.
[...]
Need to find out why it broke off.
Look on the client in the "sendbackup.DATETIME.debug" file

Here they come, attached, for the initial run and the retry.
What is puzzling me is that the entire image must have first
been dumped on the holding disk on the server, then taped.
Is it possible that I have hit some timeout. amanda.conf on the server has the following timeouts:
ctimeout 360
dtimeout 12960
etimeout 12960

Notice that the first sendbackup on the client failed after 37676s
while the retry did only after 5397s...

The log files show:

sendbackup: time 223.775: started backup
sendbackup: time 37676.088: index tee cannot write [Broken pipe]
sendbackup: time 86.306: started backup
sendbackup: time 5397.634: index tee cannot write [Broken pipe]

Maybe this is the same problem as described here:

http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Mesg_read:_Connection_reset_by_peer

ALso have a look in the accompanying "runtar.DATETIME.debug" files
or see if you find any core files from around that time in the same
debug directory.

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *