Amanda-Users

Re: can't make on Solaris 10: Failed make install!

2008-01-09 11:15:57
Subject: Re: can't make on Solaris 10: Failed make install!
From: Peter Kunst <peter.kunst AT swissrisk DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 17:10:19 +0100
On 01/09/08 16:58, Paul Bijnens wrote:
On 2008-01-09 16:39, Byarlay, Wayne A. wrote:
Yes; in fact here's a tall screen grab of the tail end of the make install:

[...]
ranlib /usr/local/lib/libamanda.a
../libtool: line 6226: ranlib: command not found
*** Error code 127

The program ranlib makes an index of the archive to speed up the
linking.  In modern compilers that is already done by the program
while creating the archive.  So it does not exist anymore.

I remember from a long time ago (> 8 years?) that on some platforms
for compiling open source I had to make a command "randlib" that
effectivily did:
    ar -s
or, if that would not work, simply:
    /bin/true

On Solaris, it's a good idea to include /usr/ccs/bin as last item into PATH:

PATH=$PATH:/usr/ccs/bin

btw, ranlib still exists on Solaris10:

$ type ranlib
ranlib is /usr/ccs/bin/ranlib
$ uname -a
SunOS nort 5.10 Generic_120011-14 sun4u sparc SUNW,A70

*But* how did you get there?  The "./Configure" program should have
already found out about that.
Did you do a "make distclean" andrun "./Configure" again, after you
changed your path?  If not, you probably are still running with
the (cached) configure results from the wrong compiler.

 Peter