Amanda-Users

Re: can't make on Solaris 10

2008-01-08 23:45:39
Subject: Re: can't make on Solaris 10
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "Sean Walmsley" <sean AT fpp.nuclearsafetysolutions DOT com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 23:36:55 -0500
On Jan 8, 2008 6:07 PM, Sean Walmsley
<sean AT fpp.nuclearsafetysolutions DOT com> wrote:
> The Sun Studio compilers are much better than gcc in terms of
> performance, but some of the Amanda code seems to use gcc specific
> constructs so you're stuck with it.

Actually, we recommend using sun studio on Solaris 10 at this point --
we use it for all of our tests, at least.

To Sean and to Paul -- please take a look at and add to the relevant parts of
  http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Installation/OS_Specific_Notes
If you have a few spare cycles, it would be even cooler if you could
try out the latest nightly build and add any extra tips to get it
working (since it now requires glib and perl).

> The GNU make (gmake on Solaris) is far superior to Sun's (very old)
> version and many things just seem to work better if you use it.

True -- Amanda's makefiles require GNU make.

Dustin

--
Storage Software Engineer
http://www.zmanda.com