Amanda-Users

amanda on FreeBSD 6.2

2008-01-06 20:36:32
Subject: amanda on FreeBSD 6.2
From: Mister Olli <mister.olli AT googlemail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 02:25:54 +0100
hi list...

I installed amanda (tested versions 2.5.2p1 and 2.5.1p3) an FreeBSD, and
configured it with vtapes to be used as storage.

I configured a backup profile namend 'daily' for my daily backups, and
an 'amcheck daily' reports no errors.

For testing purposes I created a folder (one the backupserver itself)
which contains around 4.5 GB of data. When I start 'amdump daily' from
the console as the configured backup user, the command exists
immediately and I my syslog daemon catches the following kernel message:

        kernel: pid 2007 (taper), uid 1002: exited on signal 12 (core dumped)

my log.<TIMESTAMP> file contains these informations:

        DISK planner backup.system.lan /data/test
        START planner date 20080107004352
        INFO planner Adding new disk backup.system.lan:/data/test.
        STATS driver hostname backup.system.lan
        STATS driver startup time 0.002
        FINISH planner date 20080107004352 time 0.138
        FAIL driver backup.system.lan /data/test 20080107004352 0 [can't switch
to incremental dump]
        WARNING driver taper pid 2007 exited with signal 12
        FINISH driver date 20080107004352 time 0.186

The 'amdump.1' log file is attached.

In the '/tmp/amanda' folder I can find a file called 'taper.core' which
is around 750kb large, and contains the core dump from the taper
process.

I reviewed the logfiles in the '/tmp/amanda' from the run I made, and
couldn't see any reason why the taper process dies. But I'm far away
from knowing amanda.

So what are the next steps to troubleshoot and solve the problem?

Greetz Olli