Amanda-Users

first time rotating tapes with Amanada

2007-11-26 16:21:03
Subject: first time rotating tapes with Amanada
From: "Gil Vidals" <gvidals AT gmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 13:09:09 -0800
I'm new to Amanda and I'm preparing to rotate tapes for the first time. I have an autoloader that holds 10 tapes all under the amanda.conf as DailySet1. And I just ordered 10 more (new) tapes, but I'm not clear as to when do I pull out tapes and put in the new ones???

I currently have these dump cycle settings and my intention is for the fulls to occur every 5 days
  dumpcycle 5 days
  runspercycle 5
  tapecycle 10 tapes

My crontab is set to run each day at the same time. /etc/crontab:
  45 16 * * 1-7 amanda amcheck -m DailySet1
  59 23 * * 1-7 amanda amdump DailySet1

Questions:
1) Do I unload all 10 tapes?
     a) if yes, then do I create a DailySet2???
     b) if no, then which ones?