Amanda-Users

Re: can amanda backup symlink?

2007-11-21 02:49:15
Subject: Re: can amanda backup symlink?
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: fedora <zuki AT abamon DOT com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 01:43:37 -0600
fedora wrote:
> Hi huys..
>
> I have 2 situations:
>
> 1) default directory for MySQL is /var/lib/mysql. If this directory is link
> to /var2/db/mysql and if I put /var/lib/mysql in disklist, can amanda do
> backup? I think this should be can backup. May I know which directory is the
> best to put in disklist for this case?

Amanda will back up the link, but you probably want it to back up the data,
so you should use /var2/db/mysql as your disklist entry. Or you may want
both, so if you are rebuilding the entire server you would get the link
as well, but in that case you might want most or all of /var and not just
the database link.

> 2) how about this one. In /var/lib/mysql has databases but certain databases
> in linking to /var3/mysql like:
>
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           42 May 16  2007 AngelClub ->
> /var3/mysql/AngelClub
> drwx------    2 mysql    mysql        4096 Nov 13 11:55 BabyMobile
> drwx------    2 mysql    mysql        4096 Nov 13 11:55 BestClub
>
> If I put only /var/lib/mysql in disklist, can amanda backup for /var3/mysql?
> Or should add both /var/lib/mysql and /var3/mysql in disklist? Please
> advise.

You would need both.  /var/lib/mysql would pick up the BabyMobile and
BestClub databases, but would only record the link to AngelClub and not
the database itself, so you would have to add /var3/mysql/AngelClub to
get that database.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673