Amanda-Users

Re: [Mtx-general] mtx error, used with amanda

2007-11-19 15:32:58
Subject: Re: [Mtx-general] mtx error, used with amanda
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, Chris Knight <knight AT wadsworth DOT org>, mtx-general AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 15:24:45 -0500

Platform, Solaris 9, Amanda 2.4.4, MTX 1.3.9
Nope, not fixed, here are updated logs, any help would be apreciated.

Oddly... we seem ok on the C2 jukebox but not the L9, same software
on the same machine. Not even matching machines, two amanda configs
on the same box (one runs weekdays and the other saturdays).

Actually, it seems that mtx is doing its job, and a subsequent
command to access the tape or robot shows that things completed
successfully, however there is something wrong with amanda or
the amanda/mtx interface. (but its the same amanda and glue for
both configs...)

                                                thanks,

                                                Brian

On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 10:00:44AM -0500, Brian Cuttler wrote:

> Opps, seem to have fixed the error myself, before bugging either
> list, however I will present the following in case there is something
> that might be generally helpful.
>
> My "fix" was to disable the barcode reader in the amanda config
> file that sets the mtx parameters. This is acceptable at my site
> since we have not applied barcode labels to all tapes and its only
> an L9 (9 tapes) with a limited tape pool of about 40 tapes, manually
> updated weekly.

> amtape notesx update
amtape: scanning all 6 slots in tape-changer rack:
slot 6: date X        label NOTESX20
slot 1: date 20071119 label NOTESX15
slot <error>: could not read result from "/usr/local/libexec/chg-zd-mtx"
slot <error>: could not read result from "/usr/local/libexec/chg-zd-mtx"
amtape: could not load slot 4: badly formed result from changer: "4"

> cat amtape.20071119150444.debug
amtape: debug 1 pid 10558 ruid 110 euid 110: start at Mon Nov 19 15:04:44 2007
changer: got exit: 0 str: 6 6 1
changer: got exit: 0 str: 6 /dev/rmt/2un
changer_label: NOTESX20 for slot 6
changer: got exit: 0 str: 6 6 1
changer_query: changer return was 6 1
changer_query: searchable = 0
changer: got exit: 0 str: 1 /dev/rmt/2un
changer_label: NOTESX15 for slot 1
changer: got exit: 0 str: 1 6 1
changer_query: changer return was 6 1
changer_query: searchable = 0
changer: got exit: 1 str: <error> could not read result from
"/usr/local/libexec/chg-zd-mtx"
changer: got exit: 1 str: <error> could not read result from
"/usr/local/libexec/chg-zd-mtx"
changer: got exit: 0 str: 4
amtape: could not load slot 4: badly formed result from changer: "4"
amtape: pid 10558 finish time Mon Nov 19 15:09:19 2007

> cat  chg-zd-mtx.20071119150815.debug
chg-zd-mtx: debug 1 pid 11363 ruid 110 euid 110: start at Mon Nov 19 15:08:15
2007
15:08:16 Arg info:
         $# = 2
         $0 = "/usr/local/libexec/chg-zd-mtx"
         $1 = "-slot"
         $2 = "next"
15:08:16 Running: mtx status
15:08:16 Exit code: 0
         Stdout:
  Storage Changer /dev/scsi/changer/c6t4d0:1 Drives, 9 Slots ( 0 Import/Export )
Data Transfer Element 0:Full (Storage Element 3 Loaded):VolumeTag = AF6428L1

      Storage Element 1:Full :VolumeTag=
      Storage Element 2:Full :VolumeTag=
      Storage Element 3:Empty:VolumeTag=
      Storage Element 4:Full :VolumeTag=AF6429L1
      Storage Element 5:Full :VolumeTag=CLNI57L1
      Storage Element 6:Full :VolumeTag=CLNI58L1
      Storage Element 7:Empty:VolumeTag=
      Storage Element 8:Empty:VolumeTag=
      Storage Element 9:Full :VolumeTag=
15:08:16 Config info:
         firstslot = "1"
         lastslot = "6"
         cleanslot = "-1"
         cleancycle = "120"
         offline_before_unload = "0"
         unloadpause = "0"
         autoclean = "0"
         autocleancount = "99"
         havereader = "0"
         driveslot = "0"
         poll_drive_ready = "3"
         max_drive_wait = "500"
15:08:16 LOADSLOT -> load drive 0 (/dev/rmt/2un) from slot next
15:08:16 STATUS   -> currently loaded slot = 3
                  -> currently loaded barcode = "AF6428L1"
15:08:16 EJECT    -> ejecting tape from /dev/rmt/2un
15:08:16 STATUS   -> currently loaded slot = 3
                  -> currently loaded barcode = "AF6428L1"
15:08:16 EJECT    -> moving tape from drive 0 to storage slot 3
15:08:16 Running: mtx unload 3 0
15:08:47 Exit code: 0
         Stdout:
Unloading drive 0 into Storage Element 3...done
15:08:47          -> status 0, result "Unloading drive 0 into Storage Element
3...done"
15:08:47 Return (0) -> 3 /dev/rmt/2un
15:08:47 LOADSLOT -> loading tape from slot 4 to drive 0 (/dev/rmt/2un)
15:08:47 Running: mtx load 4 0
15:09:18 Exit code: 0
         Stdout:
15:09:18          -> status 0, result "Loading media from Storage Element 4
into drive 0...done"
15:09:18 Running: /bin/mt -f /dev/rmt/2un rewind
15:09:19 Exit code: 0
15:09:19 Exit (0) -> 4
chg-zd-mtx: pid 11491 finish time Mon Nov 19 15:09:19 2007

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain
confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally
privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure.  It
is intended only for the addressee.  If you received this in error or
from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not
distribute, copy or use it or any attachments.  Please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your
system. Thank you for your cooperation.