Amanda-Users

Re: [Mtx-general] mtx error, used with amanda

2007-11-27 14:56:24
Subject: Re: [Mtx-general] mtx error, used with amanda
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: Craig Dewick <cdewick AT lios.apana.org DOT au>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 14:44:32 -0500
I didn't see any (other) replies from either list but continued to
look over the problem myself. What I now have is the following...

I'm running the 1.3.7 binary and using a glue script that I have
been running for some time, modified by Joe Rhett <jrhett AT isite DOT net
to run with mtx 1.2.9 by Eric Lee Green http://mtx.sourceforge.net

I modified the shell to use ksh rather than sh, mirroring changes
on the box running Solaris 9 with MTX 1.2.17rel and also using both
a C2/LTO3 and L9/LTO.

The E250, the new amanda server is working correctly with mtx
with the exception that I can not use # amtape update with one
of the two configurations.

Fortunately I seem to be able to use # amcheck, amlabel properly
and as long as amdump runs we will be fine, as the C2, where amtape
udpate is failing has a static tape pool.

I'll let the list know how it all works out.

On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 04:07:50PM -0500, Brian Cuttler wrote:
> Craig,
>
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 07:51:00AM +1100, Craig Dewick wrote:
> > On Mon, 19 Nov 2007, Brian Cuttler wrote:
> >
> > >Platform, Solaris 9, Amanda 2.4.4, MTX 1.3.9
> > >Nope, not fixed, here are updated logs, any help would be apreciated.
> > >
> > >Oddly... we seem ok on the C2 jukebox but not the L9, same software
> > >on the same machine. Not even matching machines, two amanda configs
> > >on the same box (one runs weekdays and the other saturdays).
> > >
> > >Actually, it seems that mtx is doing its job, and a subsequent
> > >command to access the tape or robot shows that things completed
> > >successfully, however there is something wrong with amanda or
> > >the amanda/mtx interface. (but its the same amanda and glue for
> > >both configs...)
> >
> > Could it be some sort of unidentified race condition with the amanda
> > library functions and mtx attempting to access some resource at the same
> > time without any way of preventing overlapping access attempts from
> > colliding into each other along the way?
>
> I (successfully) ran the same L9 (apparently the same one you have) on
> my v280R and the other E250 next to this E250 and had no problems. I'm
> not running the amanda configs at the same time...
>
> I'd think scripts or binaries, but the C2 on the same box is working ok.
>
> Just not sure where to look.
>
> > My tape host system is a similar config (Sol 9 on Ultra 2, Amanda 2.5.2,
> > mtx 1.3.11 talking to a Sun-badged L9 array) and it's been operating fine
> > since all the issues with devices, and configuration were resolved.
> >
> > Craig.
> >
> > PS. I'm getting a new cleaning tape for my L9 this week and wondered if
> > anyone has thought more about how to get cleaning tape usage incorporated
> > into the Amanda schema somehow? I have left a spare slot in the array
> > cartridge for the cleaning tape to sit in.
>
> The tape config file in the amanda config directory has options
> for cleaning slot and tape count between cleanings, is that what
> you are thinking of ?
>
> ---
>    Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org
>    Computer Systems Support        (v) 518 486-1697
>    Wadsworth Center                (f) 518 473-6384
>    NYS Department of Health        Help Desk 518 473-0773

---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain
confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally
privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure.  It
is intended only for the addressee.  If you received this in error or
from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not
distribute, copy or use it or any attachments.  Please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your
system. Thank you for your cooperation.