Amanda-Users

Re: Copying data to new tapes

2007-11-12 11:29:25
Subject: Re: Copying data to new tapes
From: Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Marc Muehlfeld <Marc.Muehlfeld AT medizinische-genetik DOT de>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 11:22:19 -0500
amanda can't do it automaticaly, but it is planned.

You could restore everything on the holding disk and use amflush to flush them to the new tape.
amrecover will correctly works with the new tape.

if your blocksize on tape is 32k, it is a simple as:
 cd /holding/disk/path.
 mkdir 20070101010101
 cd 20070101010101
 for all old tapes
    amrestore -r /device/name
 rm all dump that are complete.
 amflush

You should verify the result.

Jean-Louis

Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
Hi,

we used a Tandberg Superloader DLT Autoloader for offsite backups. Now I ordered a Tandberg Storageloader LTO3. Does anybody of you see a way to get the data of the old DTL to the new LTO3 tapes? Doing a 1-to-1 copy is wasting many space and money.

My only idea is restore everything on the old tapes to a huge place and backup it to LTO agin, isn't it? But this would be to much work.

Marc