Amanda-Users

Re: Copying data to new tapes

2007-11-12 10:50:22
Subject: Re: Copying data to new tapes
From: Sven Rudolph <Sven_Rudolph AT drewag DOT de>
To: Marc Muehlfeld <Marc.Muehlfeld AT medizinische-genetik DOT de>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 16:44:31 +0100
Marc Muehlfeld <Marc.Muehlfeld AT medizinische-genetik DOT de> writes:

> we used a Tandberg Superloader DLT Autoloader for offsite backups. Now
> I ordered a Tandberg Storageloader LTO3. Does anybody of you see a way
> to get the data of the old DTL to the new LTO3 tapes? Doing a 1-to-1
> copy is wasting many space and money.
>
> My only idea is restore everything on the old tapes to a huge place
> and backup it to LTO agin, isn't it? But this would be to much work.

When copying Amanda tapes to a larger media, I read all parts with dd
as long as the capacity of the new tape is reached and then I write
these parts to the new tape with dd.

In order to recover you should position the tape manually (with mt),
and you must disable amrecover_check_label in amanda.conf (otherwise
amrecovr would rewind and see the wrong tape label at the beginning of
the tape.

        Sven