Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover fails

2007-10-30 13:03:58
Subject: Re: amrecover fails
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Tony van der Hoff <tony AT vanderhoff DOT org>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 17:58:42 +0100

Tony van der Hoff wrote:
I'm a long-time Amanda user, currently 2.5.1, under Mandriva 2007, and
regularly perform backups; but have not needed to recover data for some
while. Now I do :(

I'm sure amrecover used to work, but may not have done since I upgraded to
2.5.1. Anyway:

[root@tony-lx recover]# amrecover HomeDumps -s tony-lx
AMRECOVER Version 2.5.1. Contacting server on tony-lx ...
NAK: amindexd: invalid service

amindexd appears to be running; it's certainly configured as per the
documentation in xinet.d.
There appears to be no mention of this in either the wiki or the faq.

http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Configuring_bsd/bsdudp/bsdtcp_authentication

Since 2.5.1 you need to add the "services" that amandad is allowed to run in the server_args:

service amanda
{
       only_from       = amandasrv.example.com amandaclnt.example.com
       socket_type     = dgram
       protocol        = udp
       wait            = yes
       user            = amandabackup
       group           = disk
       groups          = yes
       server          = /usr/lib/amanda/amandad
       server_args     = -auth=bsd amdump amindexd amidxtaped
       disable         = no
}

Has anyone got any suggestions on what might be wrong, and on how to
overcome this problem?