Amanda-Users

Re: scheduling questions

2007-10-29 10:42:45
Subject: Re: scheduling questions
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: "Krahn, Anderson" <AKrahn AT gs1us DOT org>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:40:09 +0100

Krahn, Anderson wrote:
Hi I have another question regarding the scheduling.
After running a backup I get this from the report.
planner: Last full dump of qaapp13-bkup.1sync.org:/opt on tape EGV006
overwritten in 1 run.
  planner: Last full dump of qaapp13-bkup.1sync.org:/home on tape EGV006
overwritten in 1 run.
  planner: Last full dump of qaapp70-bkup.1sync.org:/ on tape EGV006
overwritten in 1 run.

Does that mean the full dump was overwritten. I was my understanding
that Amanda does not do a full dump but rather schedules a full dump on
only certain clients.

Amanda spreads the full dumps over the tapes used in one dumpcycle.

Here are the scheduling parameters.

inparallel 26
dumpcycle 7 days
runspercycle  1
tapecycle 5 tapes
runtapes 3

You insert 3 tapes for each run.
You have 5 tapes total.
That means that next run, you have to overwrite at least
one tape.
Dangerous:  if anything goes wrong while making the backup
then you have no backup at all.  (And the chances of anything
going wrong is bigger while using it -- Amanda is a heavy user
of disk, tape, cpu, network...)

Because you told Amanda you will only run once during one dumpcyle
Amanda will now have to make full dumps of everything during that
one run.  (Or how did you expect it to work?)

define dumptype always-full-tar {
    global
    comment "Full backups using tar"
    compress NONE
    priority high
    index yes
    program "GNUTAR"
    maxdumps 8
    exclude list "/home/amanda/exclude_list"
}
Also does this configuration comply with a 2 week expiration period?
How can I change it to complete a 1 full dump 1 once a week with a 2
week expiration period?

5 tapes is not enough.

When using 6 tapes, you have 2 weeks old backups, the day before
the run.  The first day after the run, the oldest backup is 8 days.
And DURING the run, you have only 1 backup (hopefully), that is 7 days
old.  When one backup fails partially (e.g. one host down), then you
have NO backup of that host during the creation of the next backup.

So you definately need more tapes.   Compare the cost of the tapes
to the cost of loosing the data, and you'll know where to invest.

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *