Amanda-Users

Trouble getting tape listing

2007-10-24 13:13:42
Subject: Trouble getting tape listing
From: Chris Kottaridis <chriskot AT quietwind DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 11:10:17 -0600
The amcheck command says I have this version of amanda:

(brought to you by Amanda 2.5.0p2)

When I do what is suggested in the man page to get a listing of the
files on the tape:

      Amrestore may be used to generate a listing of images on a tape:

       % mt -f /dev/nrmt9 rewind
       % amrestore -p /dev/nrmt9 no-such-host > /dev/null

I get the following:

$ amrestore -p /dev/nsa0 no-such-host >/dev/null
amrestore: missing file header block
amrestore:   2: skipping host.mydomain.org.ad4s1a.20071024.0
amrestore:  10: reached end of information

However, if I go ahead and pull the files off of the tape they all seem
to be there:

$ amrestore /dev/nsa0 host.mydomain.org
amrestore: missing file header block
amrestore:   2: restoring host.mydomain.org.ad4s1a.20071024.0
amrestore:   3: restoring host.mydomain.org.ad4s1e.20071024.0

gzip: stdin: decompression OK, trailing garbage ignored
amrestore:   4: restoring host.mydomain.org.ad4s1f.20071024.0

gzip: stdin: decompression OK, trailing garbage ignored
amrestore:   5: restoring host.mydomain.org.ad4s1d.20071024.0

gzip: stdin: decompression OK, trailing garbage ignored
amrestore:   6: reached end of information

All the files seem to actually be there:

$ ls -l
total 5778400
-rw-r-----  1 operator  operator    37978112 Oct 24 10:52
host.mydomain.org.ad4s1a.20071024.0
-rw-r-----  1 operator  operator  2891857920 Oct 24 10:59
host.mydomain.org.ad4s1d.20071024.0
-rw-r-----  1 operator  operator   249753600 Oct 24 10:52
host.mydomain.org.ad4s1e.20071024.0
-rw-r-----  1 operator  operator  2734489600 Oct 24 10:54
host.mydomain.org.ad4s1f.20071024.0

I haven't checked yet by uncompressing and looking with restore, but I
assume everything is there.

Is the fact that the man pages recommendation to look at the file
contents on the tape a known bug for this version of amanda ?

Also, should I worry about the "trailing garbage" messages ?

Thanks
        Chris Kottaridis    (chriskot AT quietwind DOT net)