Amanda-Users

Re: RE AS400 & Amanda?

2007-10-03 09:24:39
Subject: Re: RE AS400 & Amanda?
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 09:26:38 -0400

Francis Galiegue wrote:
Le mercredi 03 octobre 2007, Geert Uytterhoeven a écrit :
On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, Francis Galiegue wrote:
Le mercredi 03 octobre 2007, Cyrille Bollu a �crit�:
[...]
We don't have any Linux partition on our AS400.
What exactly do you call a Linux partition? An ext3 filesystem or a
Linux "VM"
host?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's the latter, because AFAIK, AIX doesn't have a native ext2/ext3 fs driver...
On AS/400, `partition' doesn't mean `disk partition', but `logical
partition' (lpar).

I'm afraid I'm not really fluent with AS/400 (and that's probably very offtopic anyway), but how do you define an AS/400 "logical partition", or "lpar" as you name it

All I am looking for is if someone has any firsthand experience to offer.

The wikipedia entry on AS400 seems pretty good. The low level abstraction ability is pretty amazing.

Anyway, I half suspect that Cyrille's response might be typical: AS400's end up getting treated separately. But, I thought there might be an outside chance, and that would be cool.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator
(*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center