Amanda-Users

Re: gtar still running after amdump was done

2007-09-25 11:11:00
Subject: Re: gtar still running after amdump was done
From: Yu Chen <chen AT hhmi.umbc DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 11:12:18 -0400 (EDT)
I am running amanda 2.5.2p1 with "-o tpchanger= -o tapedev=" options, my
holding disk is 100GB. The server/client is on the same computer. After
amdump finished, I found there are still two "gtar" running. I checked
amanda log file, it says
"...
FAIL driver [host] [disk1] [date] 0 [no more holding disk space]
FAIL driver [host] [disk2] [date] 0 [no more holding disk space]
"
at the end, and the two disks are corresponding to the two "gtar"
processes.

Is this right? Is it should be automatically killed/aborted if this
happens?

I've seen and reported this problem many times, in this exact instance
(holddisk filled up) and also when there is a data timeout either
during the estimate phase or with amdump. Thing is that it's not 100%
reproducible in my local setup so I suspect that some other
condition(s) must be met for this to happen.

Hmm... have searched archive before posting, didn't find your post, although there is another post with same symptoms, but different cause with no solution. I will see if it happens again.

You don't specify your OS though...I've seen this on a server running
irix-6.5.19 (old!) and amanda 2.5.2p1.

Mine is Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon Update 9) and amanda2.5.2p1.

jf

Thanks in advance.

CY

Yu Chen
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Chemistry Building, Rm 182
University of Maryland at Baltimore County
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, MD 21250

phone:  (410)455-1728 (primary)
        (410)455-6347 (secondary)