Amanda-Users

Re: Anybody having experience with Dell LT2000 or LT4000 tape changer?

2007-09-21 09:30:02
Subject: Re: Anybody having experience with Dell LT2000 or LT4000 tape changer?
From: Cyrille Bollu <Cyrille.Bollu AT fedasil DOT be>
To: JakeGrimmett <jake.grimmett AT mrc-lmb.cam.ac DOT uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 15:30:26 +0200

owner-amanda-users AT amanda DOT org a écrit sur 20/09/2007 15:15:27 :

> I'm also looking at buying some TL4000 units to use with Centos5 (~ RHEL5)
> and need to know if I can use the SAS version.
>
> A closer look at the documentation you provided, makes me think that these
> are in fact re-badged  IBM® System Storage TS3100/TS3200 units.
>
> http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/storage/tape/ts3100/index.html
> http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/storage/tape/ts3200/index.html

You're probably correct. Dell uses to sell IBM rebranded stuff.

For example, I've a Dell Powervault 110T (LTO3) tape drive which is recognised as an IBM tape drive at boot time.

> Has anyone tried these with AMANDA, or even, has anyone used a SAS
> autoloader with AMANDA?
>
> I'd hate to suddenly have to go to my Director and ask for extra cash for a
> commercial backup solution, after using AMANDA for 5 years!

Let's wait a few weeks (months?), and I'll be able to help you; I have just ordered the TL2000 SAS.

However, as Chris points out in his email, this tape changer is reported to be working with Linux. And, as Amanda uses barely only regular Linux tools, I guess Amanda will be able to work with it (crossing my fingers :-p ).

Cheers,

Cyrille