Amanda-Users

Re: Dump to holding disk only?

2007-09-12 12:20:04
Subject: Re: Dump to holding disk only?
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: Yu Chen <chen AT hhmi.umbc DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 12:19:01 -0400

Yu Chen wrote:
I am wondering if there is a way to tell amanda to dump to holding disk
only. Then I will amflush it to tape, this way I can keep the tape busy
all time as I understand to prevent shoe-shinning for sure. I understand
if I don't put any tapes in the drive, this will be done. But I have a
tape library can hold 16 tapes, I would like to take advantage of that
without changing tape everyday manually like a single tape drive.

The idea of the holding disk is to prevent such shoe-shining.  If your
holding disk is large enough, and if your server can dump clients
faster than the tape can write, then it will collect dumps in holding
and write them out when they are complete, just as you'd like.

Thanks, Dustin
Actually this is where puzzled me. My server is my client as well, so basically it dumps itself. The disks are on a RAID 5 array directly connected to the server through SCSI. But it seems it never can keep up with the tape. Don't know where I missed something or is this right?

hmm. What kind of server? What kind of scsi? What kind of disks? What kind of raid controller?

If you are backing up from the RAID and putting it into holding disk on the same RAID, then you could have things spinning all over with bad performance. Any possibility of separating those?

I get top performance by having a completely separate drive on a separate scsi bus for the holding disk. 10Krpm Seagate Cheetah on an Ultra320 scsi connection. The tape library is also on a separate Ultra320 connection. So I end up driving the tape at maximum speed, and if I ever have a bottleneck, it is the network backbone.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator
(*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center