Amanda-Users

Re: Dump to holding disk only?

2007-09-12 11:54:05
Subject: Re: Dump to holding disk only?
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: Yu Chen <chen AT hhmi.umbc DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:35:55 -0400

Yu Chen wrote:
Hi,

I am wondering if there is a way to tell amanda to dump to holding disk only. Then I will amflush it to tape, this way I can keep the tape busy all time as I understand to prevent shoe-shinning for sure. I understand if I don't put any tapes in the drive, this will be done. But I have a tape library can hold 16 tapes, I would like to take advantage of that without changing tape everyday manually like a single tape drive.

Not sure if it is the best way to do it, but I do it by running my cron jobs this way:

   0 15 * * 1-5 /usr/local/sbin/amcheck -m daily
   45 0 * * 2-6 /usr/local/sbin/amdump daily
45 0 * * 0-1 /usr/local/sbin/amdump daily -o reserve=100 -o tapedev=/dev/rmt/0n -o tpchanger=""

The last line over-rides the configuration files with those three parameters.

So, on weekends, when things are not busy here, I'm not wasting a tape. Things sit on the holding disk and then just get flushed automatically on Tuesday at 12:45am along with the regular backups.

Note that I am also causing it to fall back to incrementals only. If you have adequate holding disk and aren't worried about that, you want to change the reserve= value to allow fulls.

My backups normally go to an AIT5 tape library. By setting tapedev=/dev/rmt/0n, I'm telling it to use the built in DDS/3 drive. But there is no tape in it. So, it gives an error and does incrementals only to the holding disk. The tpchanger="" is required, because otherwise amanda will ask the tapechanger what drive to use and it will end up going to the tapelibrary's drive anyway.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
  O__  ---- Systems Administrator
(*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center