Amanda-Users

Re: Dump to holding disk only?

2007-09-12 11:50:40
Subject: Re: Dump to holding disk only?
From: Yu Chen <chen AT hhmi.umbc DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:43:16 -0400 (EDT)
I am wondering if there is a way to tell amanda to dump to holding disk
only. Then I will amflush it to tape, this way I can keep the tape busy
all time as I understand to prevent shoe-shinning for sure. I understand
if I don't put any tapes in the drive, this will be done. But I have a
tape library can hold 16 tapes, I would like to take advantage of that
without changing tape everyday manually like a single tape drive.

The idea of the holding disk is to prevent such shoe-shining.  If your
holding disk is large enough, and if your server can dump clients
faster than the tape can write, then it will collect dumps in holding
and write them out when they are complete, just as you'd like.

Thanks, Dustin
Actually this is where puzzled me. My server is my client as well, so basically it dumps itself. The disks are on a RAID 5 array directly connected to the server through SCSI. But it seems it never can keep up with the tape. Don't know where I missed something or is this right?

That said, this is an often-requested feature.  You can get what you want with

amdump CONFIG -otpchanger= -otapedev=

which basically "nulls out" the tape device and tape changer in the
configuration.

Thanks, I am going to try that.

Dustin

Yu Chen
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Chemistry Building, Rm 182
University of Maryland at Baltimore County
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, MD 21250

phone:  (410)455-1728 (primary)
        (410)455-6347 (secondary)