Amanda-Users

Re: Restoring from a holding disk?

2007-09-07 16:12:07
Subject: Re: Restoring from a holding disk?
From: Mario Silva <msilva AT nmcourts DOT com>
To: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 13:53:11 -0600
amrecover <configname>

Then you set the hostname, which might be in your disklist file:

sethost www.dell.com

Then you set the DLE you want to work:

setdisk /usr

then you've done !

you can navigate in all the structure and just typing "add <file or directory>" you will restore information after you type extract

if you want I can send you a full restore session of my amanda server.

mario

once you are in the amrecover session, you can type help and you'll see is pretty easy to understand what you need to do, this way work pretty fine for me and I can restore the information so fast.

mario

Chris Hoogendyk wrote:
Josh Kelley wrote:

I checked the wiki and Google and couldn't find an answer.  How do I
restore from files on a holding disk if the dump has been split across
multiple chunks on the holding disk?

I have the following files:
alva._home.4    alva._home.4.2  alva._home.4.4
alva._home.4.1  alva._home.4.3  alva._home.4.5

I can restore from alva._home.4 using amrestore as normal:

amrestore -p alva._home.4 | tar xvf -

But that's obviously only part of the backup.

If I try to concatenate all of the files together, as the wiki
suggests when using amrestore to restore from a tape:

for i in `ls -1 alva._home.4*`; do dd if=$i >> wholedump.0; done

then run amrestore on wholedump.0, amrestore successfully processes
the data corresponding to alva._home.4 then gives the following
errors:

tar: Skipping to next header
gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc error
gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--length error

What's the correct procedure for restoring from holding disk files in this case?

Why get tangled up trying to second guess Amanda? Amanda knows what's on
tape and what's on holding disk and how to put it together. In my
experience, I can simply do

$ amrecover daily

and specify a host, etc. and it will recover it. I've purposely tested
this on stuff that was left in the holding disk. It seems that the only
time you should have to piece things together "manually" is if the
amanda server itself is down and you have nothing set up for the
situation and no other recourse but to start using dd, concatenating
pieces, gunzipping them, untarring them, etc. And those steps are
actually spelled out in the file header when it goes on tape.

Am I mistaken or missing something here?

---------------

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator
 (*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center

<hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>

---------------

Erdös 4

--
Mario Silva
Systems Administrator

Website:  http://www.nmcourts.gov
mailto: msilva AT nmcourts DOT gov

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The content of this data transmission is not considered as an offer, proposal, understanding, or agreement unless it is confirmed in a document signed by a legal representative of Supreme Court of the State of New Mexico or the Judicial Information Division. The content of this data transmission is confidential and it is intended to be delivered only to the addresses, therefore, it shall not be distributed and/or disclosed through any mean without the original sender's previous authorization. If you are not the addressee you are forbidden to use it, either totally or partially, for any purpose.

AVISO LEGAL:

El contenido de este mensaje de datos no se considera oferta, propuesta o acuerdo, sino hasta que sea confirmado en  documento por escrito que contenga la firma autógrafa del apoderado legal de La Suprema Corte del Estado de Nuevo Mexico o de la Division de Informatica del Estado. El contenido de este mensaje de datos es confidencial y se entiende dirigido y para uso exclusivo del destinatario, por lo que no podrá distribuirse y/o difundirse por ningún medio sin la previa autorización del emisor original. Si usted no es el destinatario, se le prohíbe su utilización total o parcial para cualquier fin.