Amanda-Users

Re: Restoring from a holding disk?

2007-09-07 15:18:22
Subject: Re: Restoring from a holding disk?
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: Josh Kelley <joshkel AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 15:16:13 -0400

Josh Kelley wrote:
> I checked the wiki and Google and couldn't find an answer.  How do I
> restore from files on a holding disk if the dump has been split across
> multiple chunks on the holding disk?
>
> I have the following files:
> alva._home.4    alva._home.4.2  alva._home.4.4
> alva._home.4.1  alva._home.4.3  alva._home.4.5
>
> I can restore from alva._home.4 using amrestore as normal:
>
> amrestore -p alva._home.4 | tar xvf -
>
> But that's obviously only part of the backup.
>
> If I try to concatenate all of the files together, as the wiki
> suggests when using amrestore to restore from a tape:
>
> for i in `ls -1 alva._home.4*`; do dd if=$i >> wholedump.0; done
>
> then run amrestore on wholedump.0, amrestore successfully processes
> the data corresponding to alva._home.4 then gives the following
> errors:
>
> tar: Skipping to next header
> gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc error
> gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--length error
>
> What's the correct procedure for restoring from holding disk files in this
> case?

Why get tangled up trying to second guess Amanda? Amanda knows what's on
tape and what's on holding disk and how to put it together. In my
experience, I can simply do

$ amrecover daily

and specify a host, etc. and it will recover it. I've purposely tested
this on stuff that was left in the holding disk. It seems that the only
time you should have to piece things together "manually" is if the
amanda server itself is down and you have nothing set up for the
situation and no other recourse but to start using dd, concatenating
pieces, gunzipping them, untarring them, etc. And those steps are
actually spelled out in the file header when it goes on tape.

Am I mistaken or missing something here?

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator
 (*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center