Amanda-Users

Re: MySQL Integrity

2007-09-06 03:24:35
Subject: Re: MySQL Integrity
From: "Sachin Kale" <sachin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: fedora <zuki AT abamon DOT com>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 12:55:11 +0530
Hi,

You can try mysql-zrm community edition.

For more details see -
http://www.zmanda.com/backup-mysql.html
http://mysqlbackup.zmanda.com/

Taking raw backup with snapshot (you should have database on a snapshot volume) will help, this is done in mysql-zrm using mysqlhotcopy.
Using mysql-zrm-scheduler, backup's can be scheduled. Adjust it before amdump. In this case, the destination directory of mysql-zrm-backup will be the disklist entry in  amanda configuration.

Thanks,
Sachin

On 9/6/07, Marc Muehlfeld <Marc.Muehlfeld AT medizinische-genetik DOT de > wrote:
Hi,

fedora schrieb:
> Does amanda can backup and restore databases without any error of its
> integrity? I encountered 2 times when recovering databases. I can't do
> databases check integrity (myisamchk or mysqlcheck) even all the backups
> returns no error. I tried to recover those databases many times but only 2
> times I cant do the integrity checking. Was it caused by amanda or my
> settings?

You can't backup open database files and expect that they are fine after you
recover them.

You have two ways:

1.) Shutdown mysql before you run amdump. Then your mysql server will be
offline during backup time.

2.) Export the databases to files e. g. using mysqldump and backup them. Then
you have no downtime for your mysql server.

For the second way I wrote a script that exports the databases and tar.gz them
together with my.cnf. If you use binary-logs then they are flushed and
backuped, too. You can find it here: http://marc-muehlfeld.de/scripts/mybackup.sh
It's allready linked at the wiki, too:
http://mysqlbackup.zmanda.com/#Other_tools.2Fscripts_for_MySQL_backup

Regards
Marc

--
Marc Muehlfeld (Leitung Systemadministration)
Zentrum fuer Humangenetik und Laboratoriumsmedizin Dr. Klein und Dr. Rost

--
Sachin Kale

Zmanda Inc.,
amanda.zmanda.com