Amanda-Users

Re: Backup over two tapes?

2007-07-30 13:46:34
Subject: Re: Backup over two tapes?
From: Gerhard Brauer <gerhard.brauer AT web DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 17:35:46 +0000 (UTC)
Gruesse!
* Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com> schrieb am [30.07.07 16:13]:

> I've not used chg-manual, always had a changer.  But I suspect that "slots"
> are only appropriate for hardware that actually has storage for unloaded
> tapes.  Chg-manual might still be appropriate IF the loading and unloading
> must be done manually rather than under software control.  But that is not
> your case, you only have the one slot, so don't lie to amanda and tell it
> you have 99 slots (or whatever).

That is default in chg-manual ;-)
I changed it to firstslot=1, lastslot=1.

> So I'd guess you still need to configure your chg-manual script.  But, as
> I noted, I've not used chg-manual.  Maybe someone else will chime in.
> Also, you need more than 2 tapes in rotation, time to amlabel a few more.

Hm, but i don't want rotation for this backup..
Ok, i label 4 tapes.

> I'd suggest that after you modify/configure your chg-manual script
> you wipeout any of the datafiles chg-manual has already created.
> I.e. there is no sense for chg-manual having a datafile indicating
> tape 2 is in slot 2 if there is only 1 slot configured.

Each time i tried an run i cleared all of the files from last run,
starting with a fresh amcheck/amdump.

amcheck with above config says: ok, MusikSet-01 is in streamer.
I started amdump, waited for hours (this streamer and tape is sooo
slow). Now the first tape is full, and:
amdump stops!
Log:
|-------------
DISK planner s02.brauer.lan /data/mp3
START planner date 20070730165052
INFO planner Adding new disk s02.brauer.lan:/data/mp3.
START driver date 20070730165052
STATS driver hostname s02
STATS driver startup time 0.134
FINISH planner date 20070730165052 time 1.153
START taper datestamp 20070730165052 label MusikSet-01 tape 0
SUCCESS dumper s02.brauer.lan /data/mp3 20070730165052 0 [sec 489.853 kb
6033130 kps 12316.2 orig-kb 6033130]
SUCCESS chunker s02.brauer.lan /data/mp3 20070730165052 0 [sec 489.939
kb 6033130 kps 12314.4]
STATS driver estimate s02.brauer.lan /data/mp3 20070730165052 0 [sec 5891 nkb
6033162 ckb 6033184 kps 1024]
[some long CHUNK taper lines]
INFO taper tape MusikSet-01 kb 3350048 fm 9 writing file: No space left on
device
WARNING driver Taper  error: "[slot 1: read label `MusikSet-01', date
`20070730165052'\012cannot overwrite active tape MusikSet-01\012changer
problem: 1 /dev/nst0]"
WARNING driver going into degraded mode because of taper component error.
|-------------

Why does amanda not simply (as it with my 99 "slots" do) eject the tape
and ask me putting the next in "slot"?

tapelist at this moment looks like:
|------------
20070730165052 MusikSet-01 reuse
0 MusikSet-02 reuse
0 MusikSet-03 reuse
0 MusikSet-04 reuse
|------------

No sorry, i think amanda isn't the right for me and my equipement.
If simply using more than one tape on a single dump/run is so
complicated (for me as the backup user/operator) then a restore leads me
surely in situations that i couldn't handle.

Amanda is surely a big tool for "big Backup/Restore", but i think my
life is easier with tar ;-)

Thank you both for your help!

Bye
        Gerhard