Amanda-Users

Re: client to server trickles with tape spanning

2007-07-20 10:11:44
Subject: Re: client to server trickles with tape spanning
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 09:52:07 -0400
On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 07:16:21AM -0400, Jean-Francois Malouin wrote:
> * Olivier Nicole <on AT cs.ait.ac DOT th> [20070720 00:51]:
> > > A DLE using tape spanning from a client (amanda 2.5.1p3 Debian/Sarge)
> > > to server (2.5.2p1 SGI/Irix) just seems to dump **extremely** slowly:
> > > so far in ~8hrs not even one chunk of 9GB has made it to tape. All the
> > > other DLEs (non-spanning) on that client dump as fast as the network
> > > allows and all the other DLEs (local, with or without spanning) dump
> > > as fast as the tape drive can stream.

I don't recall the details, but when I first set up tape spanning I ran
into problems with system settings for shared memory segment size.  This
limited the maximum spanning chunk to some tiny amount and caused the
number of chunks to go into the hundreds.  As each chunk is a separate
tape file, and the tape drive stops and restarts between each tape file,
the result was just like a drive that was shoe-shining rather than
streaming.

Check your system and amanda logs for messages regarding shared mem.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)