Amanda-Users

Re: client to server trickles with tape spanning

2007-07-20 07:27:54
Subject: Re: client to server trickles with tape spanning
From: Jean-Francois Malouin <Jean-Francois.Malouin AT bic.mni.mcgill DOT ca>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 07:16:21 -0400
* Olivier Nicole <on AT cs.ait.ac DOT th> [20070720 00:51]:
> > A DLE using tape spanning from a client (amanda 2.5.1p3 Debian/Sarge)
> > to server (2.5.2p1 SGI/Irix) just seems to dump **extremely** slowly:
> > so far in ~8hrs not even one chunk of 9GB has made it to tape. All the
> > other DLEs (non-spanning) on that client dump as fast as the network
> > allows and all the other DLEs (local, with or without spanning) dump
> > as fast as the tape drive can stream.
>
> Just a wild guess: are you sure it could not be a network problem? I
> had a similar problem recently, it occured that the client lost it
> ethernet negociation to the ethernet switch and just any type of
> network transaction to/from thi client was terribly slow.

I'm certain that it's not some flaky network connection as while the
DLE is being dumped (well, in that case, NOT dumped) all the others on
that client are doing fine. Moreover nttcp shows the nominal tcp
transfer rate of ~60MBs while the amanda is trying to dump the DLE
which is usually what I get without jumbo frames.

Another data point: this DLE is being dumped as I write this and as a
test yesterday before the dump started I increased the holddisk 'use'
variable so that it would fit and it's making it to the holddisk
right now. I guess once done amanda will chunk it to tape.
I'll report later when it completes (or not!).

thanks, jf

--
<° ><