Amanda-Users

Re: Restore from multiple configs

2007-06-26 14:28:19
Subject: Re: Restore from multiple configs
From: Don Murray <samba AT geeksrus DOT ca>
To: Harald Schioeberg <harald AT net.t-labs.tu-berlin DOT de>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 10:29:45 -0700

Hi Harald,

I'm going to ignore your details and key on the concept : you want to have a weekly and a daily back up.

I wanted to do this too and went down the path of investigating multiple configurations like you are doing. But it really bugged me that I have to basically do 2 level-0 backups a week, one for the weekly and one for the daily (since the daily backup configuration isn't aware of the weekly). My reason for having a weekly backup is because I want to be able to archive the tapes periodically, but I don't need to have the 2 configurations fully separate.

After messing around, I finally figured out that what I wanted was a single configuration with a forced level 0 on saturday night.

So, I set up a single "daily" configuration. Inside /etc/amanda/daily I added a scripts called "forceall" that looks like this:

-bash-3.00$ cat forceall
#!/bin/sh

/usr/sbin/amadmin daily force \
       windsor  / \
       gilmore  / \
       gilmore  /backedup/project \
       gilmore  /backedup/home \
       gateway2 / \
       imap     / \
       asterisk /

- so yes, I have to specify all my disk entries in this file, which is a pain and a possible issue when you change the entries - but my disk configuration is pretty stable.

(I also created an "unforceall" is the same with the "force" parameter changed to "unforce" for testing.)

My crontab looks like:

#
# ---------------- minute (0-59)
# |  ------------- hour (0-23)
# |  |  ---------- day of month (1-31)
# |  |  |  ------- month (1-12)
# |  |  |  |  ---- day of the week (0-7 sunday = 0 or 7)
# |  |  |  |  |
# *  *  *  *  *
# check the configuration each evening
00 20  *  *  0-5 /usr/sbin/amcheck -m daily
# run pgrdaily every weekday and Saturday morning
05 03  *  *  1-6 /usr/sbin/amdump daily
# on Saturday morning, make sure its a level 0
00 03  *  *    6  /etc/amanda/daily/forceall

amdump doesn't run on Sunday, giving the Saturday job enough chance to dump everything as it can take more than 24 hours for a full level 0. But each Saturday before the dump, I run the forceall script that tells amanda to make the next run a level 0.

This is working really well for me. Any weekend I have a level 0 set of tapes that I can pull and put into the safe or off-site backup, but I don't have to pay the overhead of doing 2 level 0's, one for the weekly and one for the daily/cycle.

I just thought I would suggest this as an alternative to a 2 configuration setup.

When I pull the tapes, I have a system for marking the out-going tapes as being not reused, and then adding the new tapes into the rotation. If you are interested in going ahead with the above kind of idea I can send you the details on that too.

Anyway, hopefully you find this idea interesting.

Don

(ps: and I know this isn't really the recommended way of doing things... the recommended way is "just let amanda schedule it all" - but I've found this to work very well for me. I usually only pull my archive once a month and I have considered changing the cronjob to only force the level 0 once a month rather than once a week - but my backups do occassionally have a glitch and fail to run, so having them go weekly allows me to just wait for next week if there was a problem, rather than having to either wait a month or manually mess with something.)

Harald Schioeberg wrote:
Hello again.

In my struggle to get a working amanda config (working for my strange
setup :)
I reached the following decision:

I'll use two configs,
- "Weekly", which does level-0 dumps to tape (using chg-zd-mtx)
- "Daily", which does incrementals to a virtual tape on disk
(using chg-disk)

As it is cumbersome to restore stuff from different configs, I wrote
"chg-multiplex", which acts as a super-changer and combines the two
configs for restore purposes.

If you like the idea, have a look at:
http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Chg-multiplex

If you don't: sorry for the spam :)

--
Harald Schioeberg
Technische Universitaet Berlin | T-Laboratories | FG INET