Amanda-Users

Re: Use multiple drives in tape robot

2007-06-26 13:37:19
Subject: Re: Use multiple drives in tape robot
From: Jean-Francois Malouin <Jean-Francois.Malouin AT bic.mni.mcgill DOT ca>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 12:57:23 -0400
* Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu> [20070626 12:32]:
> On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 at 4:58pm, Weber, Philip wrote
>
> >Is it possible to have 2 configs using 2 separate drives in a tape
> >robot, i.e. can they share the changer interface?  I don't mean use of
> >RAIT.
> >
> >I have successfully set up 1 config with chg-zd-mtx & then tried
> >duplicating that to a 2nd config using chg-zd-mtx with a different set
> >of tapes in the robot, and the other drive.  This was successful, except
> >one of the amdumps failed on the first calling saying no writable tape
> >could be found; it worked on the 2nd calling so I suspect there is a
> >clash with 2 configs trying to access the changer.
>
> I do exactly this, and have never seen a collision.  I kick off the 2
> amdumps 5 minutes apart.  Be sure to assign each config its own set of
> slots.

I'll just add that you must also configure amanda such that both
configs use different ports with '--with-testing=config1' and
'--with-testing=config2' and add those to /etc/services like

amanda-config1    10080/tcp
amanda-config1    10080/udp
amanda-config2    10081/tcp
amanda-config2    10081/udp

Depending on the authentication scheme you decide to use you might
have to specify the udp and tcp port range so that both config  don't
overlap.
Look for '--with-tcpportrange=' and '--with-udpportrange='

There is no provision for the access of the robotic device. At some
point I had 7 config on the same robot and I had surprisingly little
contention between the different amanda configs accessing the robot
arm.

hth
jf

--