Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda Backup fails possible card errors

2007-06-15 09:34:32
Subject: Re: Amanda Backup fails possible card errors
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 09:30:34 -0400
On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 01:31:59PM +0700, Olivier Nicole wrote:
> > Whenever i run an amanda backup around 30mins into the run I get the
> > following errors in the logs. I've included a few extra unrelated
> > lines at the beginning to give some context.
> >
> > From what i can see something bad happened, an attempt was made to
> > reset and the SCSI card went offline.
> >
> > So i'm finally left with the proverbial question: is it hardware or
> > software?
>
> Hi,
>
> Are the tape new?
>
> Did you try different tape?
>
> Did you try to write to the tape "by hand": tar cf /dev/st0 ...
>
> I see that your SCSI card is Ultra 160 but your tape drive is only
> fast wide, do you have any disk pluged in that SCSI interface? It
> should work, but who knows, if you can (have 2 SCSI interface)
> separate fast disks, from slow tape.
>

> > So i'm finally left with the proverbial question: is it hardware or
> > software?

The log messages don't sound like software to me,
except maybe the scsi driver.

Continuing Oliver's train

> > The tape drive is a few years old the rest of the hardware is brand new.

I'd guess the SCSI terminator was left on the tape drive from the old
configuration.  Is a fast/wide terminator appropriate for the current
Ultra 160 configuration?

Time to sacrifice a goat to the scsi gods and check all the cables,
terminators, board seatings & settings, and driver & firmware updates.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)