Amanda-Users

Re: Another Configure error

2007-06-06 18:34:49
Subject: Re: Another Configure error
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 16:01:52 -0400
On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 03:31:45PM -0400, Chris Hoogendyk wrote:

> Paul Crittenden wrote:
> >
> > I am trying to install amanda backup software on my Sun server running
> > Solaris 9.0. At the end of the configuration I get:
> >
> > checking whether posix fcntl locking works... no
> > checking whether flock locking works... no
> > checking whether lockf locking works... no
> > checking whether lnlock locking works... no
> >
> > configure: WARNING: *** No working file locking capability found!
> > configure: WARNING: *** Be VERY VERY careful.
> >
> > I have looked and looked but can find nothing to help, any ideas?
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Paul Crittenden
>

> That's weird.
>
> Are you sure you have your environment set up properly for building
> software? Perhaps you have a security stripped setup that makes it
> purposefully difficult to do anything?
>
> I did a `man fcntl`, a `man flock`, and a `man lockf` on my E250 running
> Solaris 9. They are all there. One of them was the SunOS/BSD variant,
> and so was in /usr/ucb/....

I've encountered the same error with configure on Solaris since my
earliest days with amanda.  I don't know why the configure script
tests don't detect the locking facilities properly.  At the time I
was looking into it Solaris had all the facilities that were tested
for.  I finally went into the config/config.h file and set all the
defines that were wrong and set the "USE_xxx" macro to the one I
wanted amanda to use.  I think it was the POSIX version.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)