Amanda-Users

Re: amtapetype - silly thing I tried

2007-06-01 12:50:38
Subject: Re: amtapetype - silly thing I tried
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 12:49:32 -0400

Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 10:40:38AM -0400, Jon LaBadie wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 08:00:21AM -0400, Jean-Louis Martineau wrote:
>>
>>> Jon,
>>>
>>> amtapetype should terminate once it fill the disk.
>>>
>>> Jean-Louis
>>>
>> I didn't see any smiley there ;) so I'll just note that once
>> amtapetype seemed to recognize the file driver I half-expected
>> it to also see the EOF like taper does.
>>

> If I understand correctly (and just to summarize), Jon, you expected
> amtapetype to terminate when the tape was filled to its stated capacity
> (stated in the tapetype definition..) the way taper does.  Instead,
> amtapetype runs until the OS returns ENOSPC ("No space available") and
> then terminates, probably with a pretty accurate description of the
> amount of space available on the partition.
>
> Sound about right?

Just an added comment: amtapetype is a diagnostic tool. It is hammering
the device trying to determine what its limits are. It doesn't want a
configuration file to tell it some limit that might not be right. It's
going to figure it out for itself. The interesting thing here might be
getting the performance of your drive, even though you are setting a
lower limit for how much drive space you ultimately want amanda to use.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator
 (*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center