Amanda-Users

Re: to disk to tape?

2007-05-11 11:14:57
Subject: Re: to disk to tape?
From: R Ransbottom <vze34z3i AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 11:11:26 -0400
On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 07:08:02PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 10 May 2007, R Ransbottom wrote:

> >The web docs suggest splitting up your vtape space

> Amanda handles vtape with the same intelligence it uses on a regular fixed
> size tape.  Amanda will promote a full backup that isn't quite due in order
> to help maintain an approximately equal tape usage every night.  In fact, for
> those that come into the amanda arena, expecting to be able to do
> incremental's monday-thursday, and a complete full on friday nights are in
> for a somewhat rude shock because you have to bend over backwards, and write
> scripts that beat her about the brow in order to achieve that hugely tape
> wasting schedule.  That simply is not in the amanda view of how things work
> from the original conception well over a decade ago.

I understood all of that; but I don't know how much intelligence Amanda
brings to physical tapes.  I have an small assortment of devices that can
be dedicated to backups:  a few DVD-RWs, a few CD-RWs, and a pair of 20gig DATs,
Is it a good idea to have a set of tapes that encompass these various
devices?  Would Amanda burn a DVD one day and use the DAT when
the DVD is too small?

Thanks.

Be well,
rir