Amanda-Users

Re: to disk to tape?

2007-05-10 19:05:31
Subject: Re: to disk to tape?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: rir AT general-supply DOT com
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 19:08:02 -0400
On Thursday 10 May 2007, R Ransbottom wrote:
>I have gotten so far as getting my first vtape written
>and have lots of questions brewing.
>
>The web docs suggest splitting up your vtape space
>into vtapes of the same size.  Is this required; doe
>Amanda intelligently handle vtapes of various sizes?
>
>Be well,
>rir

Amanda handles vtape with the same intelligence it uses on a regular fixed
size tape.  Amanda will promote a full backup that isn't quite due in order
to help maintain an approximately equal tape usage every night.  In fact, for
those that come into the amanda arena, expecting to be able to do
incremental's monday-thursday, and a complete full on friday nights are in
for a somewhat rude shock because you have to bend over backwards, and write
scripts that beat her about the brow in order to achieve that hugely tape
wasting schedule.  That simply is not in the amanda view of how things work
from the original conception well over a decade ago.

amanda, when left to her own devices, will figure out a schedule (provided
your settings in amanda.conf are sane) that will backup a 50GB system to a
4GB tape, using one tape per nightly run, every night of a 7 day dumpcycle,
filling each tape to 95% of its capacity, and do it without ever hitting an
EOT _if_ your data is fairly stable.  Admittedly that's a little extreme, but
I have done it.

This does mean that it might take amanda a week or more to figure out a
suitable schedule, but it should only be adjusted if amanda is falling
farther and farther behind when looked at over a 2 or 3 dumpcycle period.

You cannot, and should not, ever figure on using (v)tape number-007 on a
certain night of the week, again, amanda is managing the re-use of the tapes,
and a sneeze sometime that requires you to do a catchup flush will advance
that usage schedule by a day, and before you know it, the (v)tape named
Daily-tuesday will be actually used on monday or earlier.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
lp1 on fire
(One of the more obfuscated kernel messages)