Amanda-Users

Re: activate HW compression

2007-05-02 10:23:10
Subject: Re: activate HW compression
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 10:13:09 -0400
I haven't encountered that. I thought that the compression algorithms
were standardized for particular tape formats. Typically, the originator
of a tape format is the primary manufacturer and other vendors repackage
mechanisms with their own labeling and other components. So, e.g., a Sun
or Dell DAT drive would be the same tape mechanism, which they bought in
bulk and repacked.

For amanda, a principle issue is planning. Hardware compression makes it
more difficult to plan ahead, because amanda doesn't know how
compressible the data is or how much space it actually took up on the
tape. With experience, it can figure it out statistically for a
particular DLE, but it can't really know. This might not be an issue
with other software which doesn't plan. Such software just does what you
tell it and simply asks for another tape when it runs off the end. It
becomes your responsibility to plan and to respond to shifts in disk
usage over time, and that's one of the major advantages of amanda.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator
 (*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center