Amanda-Users

Re: Question about backup schedules

2007-04-04 13:58:29
Subject: Re: Question about backup schedules
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 11:47:49 -0400
On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 02:48:26PM +0100, Michael Keightley wrote:
> I have setup Amanda to backup to vtape.  I want to do a full backup once
> per week, incremental other days (weekdays only), but keep 1 month of
> backups.  I'm a bit confused about how to set this up in amanda.conf.
>
> Would this work?
>
> dumpcycle 1 weeks
> runspercycle 5
> tapecycle 20 tapes

Looks fine assuming you have 20 vtapes.

Your wording "full backup once per week" may indicate a lack of
understanding of amanda's "dynamic scheduling".  With the above
settings, each of your disklist entries (DLEs) will get a full
backup at least each week.  But not all on the same day, nor will
the same DLE get its full dump on the same day.  Amanda will try
to achieve a balance of the amount of data backed up each of the
five runs per week.  It does this by moving backup levels around
on a DLE by DLE basis.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)