Amanda-Users

Re: Compression

2007-04-03 22:25:02
Subject: Re: Compression
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 22:18:00 -0400
On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 07:58:29PM -0400, Jean-Louis Martineau wrote:
> Sebastian,
>
> amanda think your data are not compressible because you didn't use
> software compression before.
> It will adapt to the new config after a few run.
>
> Temporary, you can lie to amanda and increase the length of your tapetype.
>
> Jean-Louis

IIRC, for a new DLE amanda assumes a 50% compressability.  Does your comment
imply that for DLE's that did not use compression, that a 0% compressability
is recorded in the curinfo file?  Wouldn't it be better to record an "unknown"
flag instead to prevent problems like Sebastian is encountering?

> Sebastian Henrich wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I'm using amanda 2.4.5 to backup my server. The tape is a HP DAT 72.
> >This drives stores 36 GB of uncompressed data. I switched the hardware
> >compression off and tried to use the software compression. Now I have
> >the problem that amanda tells me every time
> >
> >INFO planner Incremental of server:/srv/samba/profile bumped to level 2.
> >INFO planner server /home 20070404 0 [dumps too big, 15459005 KB, full
> >dump delayed]
> >
> >Amanda is configured to do a full backup each time which is impossible
> >at the moment. I tried to backup ~45 GB of well compressable data.
> >Normally amanda should be able to store the files compressed on the tape.
> >
> >Has anybody some hints for me?
> >
> >  Thanks
> >
> >      Sebastian
> >

>>> End of included message <<<

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)