Amanda-Users

Re: questions on VXA-2/X23 tape drive configuration

2007-04-03 08:35:28
Subject: Re: questions on VXA-2/X23 tape drive configuration
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 08:27:15 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 at 4:23pm, Jon LaBadie wrote

On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 03:24:17PM -0400, Freels, James D. wrote:
I have a new set of X23 tapes from Exabyte (now Tandberg) that I want to
make sure I get the most out of with my AMANDA backup system.  The tapes
are rated at 80/160 GB (uncompressed/compressed) for my VXA-2 drive.  A
few questions:

1) compresstion

I read where hardware compression in the tape drive should not be used
with AMANDA.  If you want compression, use the computer software (gzip)
to do this in the AMANDA configuration.  Is this still true ?

Lots of reasons on both sides to choose one or the other.  I'd guess more
than half of amanda installations use software compression.  But make sure
you don't attempt to use both.

The one caveat to this is that you *can* mix and match hardware and software compression iff your tape drive's hardware compressor is smart and recognizes uncompressible data. LTO does this, as does (I believe) S-AIT (but not regular AIT).

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering